Tuesday 17 January 2017

A Girl's Guide for Overcoming Oratane

I have been getting a lot of messages from young women about their Oratane/Accutane treatments. The majority of these girls have been extremely scared about starting the process due to the negative effects it can have on the skin. Since I was on the treatment in 2015, I want to share my experience and a bit of advice to console anyone who wants to take on this daunting journey. 

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

Q:  How Long Did It Take for Oratane to work?
I was on the 20mg dosage for 6 months. It honestly started working for me after the three months I was in. The first three months brought out all my pimples, and the last three months was the disappearing phase of it all. I think by the end of the fourth month, my skin was so silky smooth. 

Q: How Effective was Oratane for you? 
Oratane literally elevated my self-esteem and confidence. Having the smooth skin, and having no pimples come is really great. Before I went on Oratane, I had pimples that turned really dark and sometimes into scars. Self-love is so important, and if you really want to take care of your skin, I recommend Oratane. However, dermatologists usually have other methods - but usually, if you have a lot of acne, you will go on Oratane. 

Tip #1: 
It gets worse, but it also gets way better. 
The first few months will probably be the hardest months for you. All your pimples will start to come out at the same time. During this time, I genuinely urge you to remain positive. One thing that is important during this journey is mindfulness. Keeping a positive mind will allow you to not focus on the bad acne on your face. Make sure you also have a good support system i.e. family and friends who are willing to understand your journey and do activities that make you feel better rather than make you feel bad about it. At the end of the day, if you do have a friend who constantly teases you about your skin when you are done with your skincare process, I assure you that negative friend will be very very jealous of your beautiful face. 


Tip #2: 
How to Deal with the Side Effects: 
The biggest concern that you should have is the effect Oratane will have on your liver. After my six months journey, I had to take a blood test, and my dermatologist had told me that my liver enzymes levels had risen. Thus, I do not drink alcohol (I never was a drinker), and I watch what I eat. I suggest that you drink a lot of water to ensure your liver enzymes will not be affected. 

Dry Skin - It will happen. You can not avoid this one. However, one product that I really used and still use to this day is Vaseline. (Get the scented ones - like the Aloe Vera or Cocoa Butter), or if you are not into Vaseline, you can buy the Eucerin Intensive Lip Care.  Also, ensure you are using a facial cream and face wash that helps with dryness. (Check out Cetaphil)

DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR SKIN TO BE DRY TO PUT THESE PRODUCTS ON. 
Be proactive. The moment you start taking those pills, start moisturising your lips. There is no such thing as too much moisturising when you are on Oratane. I promise you, it will help a lot. 

Carry eye drops.  Your eyes will also get dry. So find eye drops that will you like. 


Tip #3: 
Never Give Up
You put in all this effort, time, money and energy. I promise you do not give up. If you are concerned about your partner leaving you, then that partner was never loyal. I was in a relationship during my Oratane period, and there were times I never ever wanted to go out, but my ex-partner made me feel much better and continued to cheer me up. People will probably look at you, but they are telling themselves that you are a brave person for taking on such a daunting journey that leads up to nothing but clear skin and amazing selfies. 



Here is a photographic journey of my treatment: May 2015 - September 2015. 

11 June 2015 (Pimples are visible)



17th July 2015 (Pimples are turning into small dark patches - thus drying process) 




August/September 2015 (Peeling time) 


 
27th September 2015 - the Last pill was taken. Clear Skin. 



1st October 2016 - No Pimples in sight. Clear Skin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment